Hi everybody, I am so excited to be participating again in this amazing event. This is only my second time, so I am pretty new. I know some of you (other bloggers) are the pros and I am always looking forward to reading your amazing posts and recipes. I really like this event because is a great way to share dishes from my country, Mexico. Today I am sharing the recipe for “Enfrijoladas” which are like enchiladas but instead of using salsa to dip the corn tortillas, you use a bean sauce. This dish reminds me of my childhood because mom uses to make them when she was in a hurry and/or when she hadn’t gone to the groceries and didn’t have ingredients to prepare something else. This dish is simple and delicious. Did I mention cheap? Here is the recipe.
6-8 corn tortillas
Chopped onions for garnish
For the bean sauce
1 1/2 cup or 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed ( you can use other types of beans)
1/4 of onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2-1 cup of water or bean juice
For the filling
1 link of vegan chorizo ( I used Field Roast)
3 tbs of onion, finely chopped
1 garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup of potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut in small squares
1/2 cup of beet, cooked and cut in small squares
1. Blend the beans and all the other ingredients (except water) for the bean sauce until smooth. Add the water little by little so the sauce doesn’t become too thin and watery. It should be a creamy sauce thick enough to coat the tortillas.
2. In a pan heat some oil and sauté the bean sauce, cook for a couple of minutes. Add water if necessary. Set apart.
3. For the filling heat some oil in a skillet and sauté the vegan chorizo for a couple of minutes. Add the potatoes and beets. Let it cook for other 5 minutes or until the chorizo is fully cooked and crispy. Set apart.
4. Heat the tortillas on a griddle or microwave until soft (1 minute or 30 sec in the microwave). Dip each tortilla into the bean sauce, make sure both sides are cover with it. Place on a plate and with a spoon, add the potato filling onto one side of the tortilla, fold the tortilla in half (like a half moon shape).
5. Top with the chopped onion and some salsa verde.
6. Repeat for each enfrijolada you would like to prepare.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and hope to see you at the next event.